I made this woodland themed coconut, cashew and date bread as an attempt to conjure Wes Anderson into my living room for an afternoon tea party.
Alas, I was unsuccessful – but the outcome was tasty nonetheless.
One of the stars of this little number is the Medjool date – which is thought to have 800 uses – making them like the Lady MacGyver of the fruit world.
It is also entirely sans gluten – which is handy considering every second person in the world has diagnosed themselves as coeliac. There will be no anaphylactic shock on my watch, no sir!
I sandwiched some fresh fig and mascarpone inside two fat slices of bread and imagined I was eating it in a remote Scandinavian forest. I highly suggest you do the same.
- 6 eggs
- Heaped tablespoon of baking powder
- I cup pitted Medjool dates
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1 cup cashew meal
- Pinch cinnamon, nutmeg & Himalayan pink salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- Fresh figs and raspberries
- Literally, mix all the ingredients in your food processor (except figs, raspberries & mascarpone!).
- Pour mix into a lined bar tin.
- Bake until golden and springy to touch.
- Serve with figs, raspberries and mascarpone.