The previous night was mostly a blur. She could remember a bit here and there - like throwing a glass of water in her friend’s face. Shuddering, she tore off a bit of fresh baked focaccia and swiped it around her plate to soak up the juices from her salmon and grapefruit salad - step one to feeling once again virtuous. The restaurant was small and cramped and she’d had to wait in line to order coffee. Then she decided she wanted food too and had to line up again. When she got back to the table, her latte was cold.
She tossed the final chuck of doughy bread into her mouth before getting up to pay. All of the staff were girls dressed like boys with miscellaneous piercings and headscarves. They all wore pale blue full length jumpsuits that reminded the girl of the ones her father wore on the farm.
She walked to her favorite bookstore through the rain. It too was crammed with people and she started to feel short of breath. In a panic, she bought a very old book about the history of Poland because it reminded her of her mom. The man behind the counter was tall and grey and wore glasses. He looked just like a bookshop owner should. But when she asked him if he owned it, he said he didn’t. She felt like he thought she was judging him for not owning a book store at his age, but only working in one. And perhaps she was. But she didn’t want him to think so, so she said ‘oh, you just work here then?’ It was meant to sound casual, but it only worked to affirm her fears. The man just smiled and shrugged apologetically. Even though he probably thought she was a mean girl now, he put her Polish book in a special bag to protect if from the rain outside.
- 1 orange
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 piece salmon
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- Chopped dill and parsley
- 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Chili flakes
- Olive oil
- Sesame seeds
- Lay the salmon over some thick slices of orange and grapefruit in a baking dish. Drizzle with oil and season with salt, pepper, sesame seeds and chili flakes.
- Squeeze over some lemon juice and bake on a low heat for about 35-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cube the remaining orange and grapefruit and place in a bowl with diced onion, avocado and herbs.
- Season with salt and pepper, before drizzling with more lemon juice and olive oil.
- Serve salmon topped with salsa.