Today one of my lady loves and I adventured into the countryside for a utopic spring picnic surrounded by big trees and trickling streams.
There were baby animals hopping excitedly around us, fascinated by their new surroundings. We got really lost on a windy dirt road, but we didn’t even care.
We ate coconut damper and salted caramel, apple and haloumi salad while sipping fresh pineapple and beetroot juice.
After a long bushwalk through a forest, dappled sunlight dancing on our faces, we dove deep into remote creek. It was warm at the top, but the deeper you kicked the colder it got.
We lay snuggled in blankets and talked about heartbreak and dreams. We laughed until our stomachs cramped and warm tears streaked our faces.
We schemed our futures and listened to the echoing calls of whip birds. We made a pact that this would be our spot, and one day we would bring more food and bedding and stay a couple of nights.
On our way back to the city, we drove with our windows down, screeching Taylor Swift songs at the top of our lungs.
Today I was filled with overwhelming gratitude. For my life, adventures, beautiful friends, wide open spaces and glorious spring picnic fare.
We grazed on simple fresh foods, inspired by our undisturbed surroundings.
To me, perfect picnic snacks are as good hot as they are cold. They are easy to transport, wholesome and filling.
With the days warming up, my spring picnic menu is light, flavoursome and as good for your soul as a deep breath of country air.
[PINEAPPLE & BEETROOT SMOOTHIE]
- Blend 250ml coconut water with 2 small peeled beetroot, grated ginger, squeeze of lemon juice, handful of mint leaves and 1.5 cups cubed pineapple.
- Enjoy snuggled into pillows and picnic blankets.
[SALTED 'CARAMEL,' APPLE & HALOUMI SALAD]
- Cut 1.5 Granny Smith apples into wedges. Douse in lemon juice and sprinkle with 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon (depending on taste).
- Cut up 150g haloumi into thin slices.
- Fry apple and haloumi slices in coconut oil until haloumi is browned and apple is soft.
- For the salted 'caramel,' blend 3 dates with lemon juice, liquified coconut oil and himalayan pink sea salt.
- In a large bowl toss everything together with baby spinach and sprouts.
[HEARTY COCONUT DAMPER]
- In a food processor, mix 1 cup organic wholemeal spelt flour, 1 cup shredded coconut, two tablespoons coconut sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg and 1 teaspoon baking powder.
- Add 1/2 cup hardened coconut oil until mix forms a crumb-like texture.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/3 cup whole milk. Process until mix comes together.
- Role into a ball. Cut slits cross-ways across the top and brush with more milk.
- Bake until golden brown.